Sunday 27 November 2011

Now What?

Now that the campaign and election are done it looks like there's lots to learn in the next few weeks. The inaugural meeting is coming up on Dec 6, and a series of orientation or training sessions here and also in Vancouver. I got an email from the board office asking what my top 5 things I wanted to learn about first were. We got to choose from a list of categories. Here's what I put (yes, I gave 10 not 5 things):

  • district plan, leadership, technology
  • what can/should I do on my own, what should be done only as a group
  • school programs and long-term sustainability, is this where "green" initiatives fits?
  • are 1701s the only extra funding cases?, equity for all vs. fairness for students generating funds
  • the BCPSEA relationship, hiring philosophy for leadership
  • trustee/school relationship, the kinds of questions that are worth asking
  • purchasing as it overlaps with school and teacher innovation
  • categories, is this where 1701s equity vs. fairness issues would come up?
  • improving achievement, connection to rural schools (including technology), relationship to other school programs
  • figuring out Robert's Rules

I'm also wondering what kinds of things I should use this blog for now that I am a trustee. If anyone has suggestions feel free to leave a comment. I really appreciate the help my husband Glen gave me in researching and editing the blog and campaign material, he really is an ubernerd when it comes to the school district's history and issues. Kind of a walking encyclopedia but with more facial hair. I also appreciate the input that other teachers and parents had on my campaign, there is so much passion and interest out there for making our schools work for the students. Thanks also to my kids for putting up with a big change to their nights. I've been working evening shifts at Costco for the past month, one more shift left and then I'm giving up the job to focus on being a trustee.

No comments: